Credit : Vijaya K
1 cup of Barnyard millet
1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
2 green chillies, slit
2 bay leaves
2 pods of cardamom
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
250 grams of chopped spinach
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon of oil
2 tablespoons of ghee (optional)
Method: Directions for Spinach & Millet Pulao Recipe
- To begin making the Spinach and Millet Pulao Recipe, get all the ingredients ready and keep it by the side. In this recipe, I will show you how to cook using a pressure cooker.
- If you dont use a pressure cooker, then I suggest the same cooking procedure, using a heavy bottomed sauce pan with a lid. You will cover the pan after the procedures below and cook until the millets is edible.
- Into a pressure cooker, heat a tablespoon of oil. Add the ginger, green chillies, bay leaves, cardamom pods and stir-fry for a few seconds. After which, add in the turmeric powder, cumin powder, tomatoes, salt and the millet.
- Add 2 cups of water. Stir all the ingredients and cover the pressure cooker (or the saucepan). Place the weight on and pressure cook until you hear 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, open the cooker, stir all the ingredients. Check the salt and spice levels and adjust to suit your taste.
- If, by chance the millets did not cook with the amount of water you added, then sprinkle some more water as required, cover the pressure cooker and allow it to steam on low heat. Don’t place the weight on at this stage. You will have to just cover and cook.
- Next we will stir fry the spinach in wok and then add it to the cooked millet. In a wok, add a teaspoon of oil, add the chopped spinach, salt and stir fry on medium heat until the spinach is cooked and almost all the water is evaporated. Stir in the spinach to the cooked millets.
Once the Spinach and Millet Pulav is done, stir in the ghee. You can skip adding ghee on top if you are not very keen on that. Ghee adds an additional flavor to the Pulao making it delicious. Serve the Spinach and Millet Pulao along with a Raita of your choice.