Credit : Sridhar
Idli is a traditional breakfast made in every south indian household. these soft pillowy steam lentil rice cakes, as we call them in english
- 1.5 cup UradDal
- 2 Cup Udalu Grains ( Barnyard Millet)
- ¼ tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
- 4 cups water for soaking
- 1 cup water for soaking urad dal
- 1 tsp salt
- oil as required to apply to the idli moulds
- Soak the Udalu , urad dal with methi seeds separately in water for 4-5 hours.
- Drain the soaked urad dal. reserve the water.
- Grind the urad dal, methi seed with ¼ cup of the reserved water for some seconds. then add remaining ¼ cup water. grind till you get a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Remove the urad dal batter in a bowl and keep aside.
- Grind the Udalu rice in batches to make a smooth batter.
- Mix both the batters together in a large bowl or pan. add salt and mix well.
- Cover and let the batter ferment for 8-9 hours or more if required.
- Grease the idli moulds.
- Pour the batter in the moulds and steam the idlis in a pressure cooker or steamer.
- Steam for 10-12 mins or until the idlis are done.
- Serve the steaming hot idlis with coconut chutney and sambar.